Race & Ethnicity
I really enjoyed reading about Piri’s story in “Down These
Mean Streets”, by Piri Thomas. However, not because of the intriguing story it
tells, but because it hits so close to home. One of the themes of this story was
about Piri finding himself. He did not know he was also Black because his
family didn’t raise him with a part Black identity. Piri had a hard time and it
took him a while to discover or identify as Black also. Piri was raised as a Puerto
Rican Latino. This hit close to home for me because I had a hard time
identifying myself as well as a child. I knew that I was born in the United
States, but I was raised in Brazil. Both my parents were born in Brazil. My
first language was not English. When I’d go over to visit family in the summer,
my aunts would introduce me as their American niece, however, I did not feel as
though I was just American and nothing more. The first language I ever spoke
was Portuguese. When I returned to the United States at 6 years-old, that’s
when I began learning about race. I didn’t learn much about it, just that I had
to pick one in forms. My parents didn’t know how to categorize race/ethnicity
on forms. It was not something we were used to. I’ve been claiming to be White
all my life, though I always felt like I was more than just White. They taught
me in elementary school that I was white. Later in high school I found out that
I was a Latina, which to me made more sense. I also fit in with the other
Latinx individuals in high school. It’s like we understood each other, because
our parents faced similar struggles, and we grew up with similar values.
Whether it was my best friend’s abuela waking her up on cleaning day to salsa,
or my mãe waking me up to
samba, we were both waking up to music and beginning our chores on cleaning day.
Just like Piri, discovering my
identity was a long journey. I discovered I was a Latina my Sophomore year of
high school. I never touched the subject again, from there on I identified myself
as a Latina. Then when I got to college, I started questioning my race, and to
this day, I still don’t fully understand it. I still don’t understand why my
brother is not considered white if we have the same mother and father. Or why I’m
not considered a Native like my brother would be because of his brown skin and
silky hair, or why am I not considered black like my grandfather would be? I
understand Piri’s frustration. He was never taught to embrace his race. I too
look different than all my siblings, I have a white peachy skin tone, and super
curly hair. My brother has brown skin tone and silky hair like part of our
indigenous blood. My other siblings are blonde with green eyes. I know my siblings
will face the same problem growing up. There is so much confusion in race
identity more than ethnicity because at least ethnicity is related to your
nationality and cultural tradition. That is generally easier to determine. I
feel that in society, the box in forms next to Race is only there to determine
the color of your skin, because it doesn’t make sense for two siblings with the
same biological parents to have to identify as two different races based on
society. Race is a socially constructed concept that has kept generations
segregated. In the story, the issue with Piri identifying his race ultimately
resulted in him fighting with his parents. It is sometimes hard to identify
yourself when come from an ethnically and racially diverse family, which is one
of the things Piri struggled with.
Comments
Post a Comment